Thursday, November 3, 2011

Banana Honey Tea Loaf


This variation of banana bread is much denser & offers a new array of flavors. I noticed the taste of the walnuts & cinnamon more than the banana. I think a nice addition to this recipe would be 1 chopped apple to complement the nuts & spice.

I found this in Bread Winner's by Mel London & it makes 1 large loaf.

Ingredients:
1/3 c mild-flavored honey
1/2 c light oil
3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
1 t vanilla
2 eggs, beaten (at room temperature)
1/2 c wheat germ (I substituted 2 T flax for this)
2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 c chopped walnuts
1 1/2 c flour (1/2 whole wheat, 1/2 regular)

Preheat oven to 325 F & grease loaf pan.

In a large bowl mix together the honey & oil. Then stir in the bananas, vanilla, & eggs. Sift the dry ingredients into another bowl, then add to the first mixture & stir until just combined. Add the walnuts & gently stir.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan & bake 1 hr, until a toothpick comes out clean. Let sit 5 mins in pan, then flip onto a wire rack until completely cool.

The recipe says to wrap snugly & refrigerate overnight before slicing but I couldn't resist trying a piece. I had some while it was still cooling and it was very good. Definitely something I will make again!

No comments:

Post a Comment