Friday, March 16, 2012

Zucchini Bread (Made with yellow squash)

I bought some yellow squash last week and it sat in the fridge for a bit too long so I decided to make it into some delicious zucchini bread. I didn't already have a recipe for this bread, and a quick internet search yielded this result for Mom's Zucchini Bread. I followed it almost exactly, substituting the squash for zucchini, cutting the sugar in half, and using 1/2 whole wheat flour instead of all white flour. The bread was flavorful and moist, as many of the reviews stated, and I will definitely be making it again. Maybe next time I will cut 1/4 c sugar out.

Note: I am baking around 6300 feet so I changed this recipe for the altitude. I added a little more flour and salt, less baking powder and baking soda, and increased the baking temperature by 25 degrees F. The ingredients and recipe listed below are for sea level.

Yield: 2 loaves

Ingredients:
3 c flour, 1/2 whole wheat 1/2 regular
1 t salt
1 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
3 t cinnamon
3 eggs
1 c vegetable oil
1 1/4 c white sugar
3 t vanilla
2 c grated zucchini
*1 c chopped walnuts

*I did not have walnuts, so I omitted these

Spray loaf pans and preheat oven to 325 F. In a large bowl, blend together eggs and sugar. Add the vanilla and oil and blend. Sift together the dry ingredients then combine with first mixture until consistent. Stir in zucchini and walnuts. Spread into prepared pans and bake 40-60 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. If making muffins bake 18 minutes.

Remove from oven and enjoy. (It pairs nicely with a glass of milk.)



No comments:

Post a Comment