Sunday, September 18, 2011

Crepes


Usually I wake up in the morning and lie in bed contemplating for a few moments all the breakfast recipes I could make. Then I go through the ingredients in my head and decide which recipe would be best based on what I feel like eating and what is available.

While lying in bed this particular morning, I weighed the pros and cons between crepes and muffins. We had a very ripe peach and some blueberries leftover, which would work in both recipes. I settled on crepes, because the fruit would be tastier in them, and finding a good recipe would be a breeze.

I searched for "Authentic Crepe Recipe" online. One of the first recipes that popped up was listed by a French Canadian, and had conflicting reviews (though overall, good ratings). The good reviews said they were excellent and authentic, the bad reviews said they were bland and boring. I'll go with boring but authentic any day over unnecessarily complicated. I also like to keep my ingredients list to a minimum--bigger does not mean better when you're crafting the perfect cake, bread, or dinner.

Here is the recipe:
1 c flour
1 egg
2 c milk
1 pinch salt*

Sift flour into a bowl and make a well in the center. Add egg, and begin whisking. Slowly pour in the milk until all the flour is combined. Can chill in the fridge overnight, but I like to use it right away. Some recipes suggest chilling for 2 hrs minimum, to remove lumps, but when you mix it this way there won't be lumps :)
*I added a pinch of salt after tasting the first crepe, it was a bit bland.

I usually cook crepes in a nice non-stick frying pan, but my brother has a specifically designed crepe pan, so I used that. While the pan was heating (low heat), I combined in a small heavy-bottom pot the peach (peeled), a handful of blueberries, 1 spoonful of brown sugar (about 2 tsp), a sprinkle of cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp vanilla. I turned this pan on medium and let the fruit stew for a few minutes, until it was soft and smelled scrumptious. If you overdo this part, you will be left with fruit stew, so be careful!

Meanwhile, my crepe pan was ready. I coated the pan in a little butter, and poured the first spoonful of batter. The recipe said to make them "paper thin" and my first one was definitely this thin. It didn't break, but for  how buttery it was, there probably should have been more batter. The first one is always a tester ;) My brother ate it and said it was good. My favorite filling was the cooked fruit with a little greek yogurt, but anything will work--sweet or savory. One time I made crepes with a friend and first we filled them with sweet things for breakfast, then filled them with meats, cheeses, and veggies for lunch.

Overall, true to recipe and reviews. Perhaps not the best crepes I've had, but satisfying nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment