Sunday, September 18, 2011

French Toast

What better way to start off this blog than with the most basic of basic breakfast foods: french toast.
French toast is so simple, I've never used a recipe for it before; simply crack some eggs into a bowl, add milk, and cinnamon, whisk to combine and ta-da you're ready to make some toast.

Yesterday morning was different. I woke up craving french toast, but decided to open up the Joy of Cooking and browse for recipes to perhaps "spice it up" a bit. The recipe I found called for 1/2 t vanilla in addition to 2 eggs, 1/3 c milk, & a sprinkle of cinnamon and salt for 4 pieces of stale bread. I omitted the 2 T sugar, since I usually douse my toast in maple syrup or the equivalent sweet toppings.

I used some leftover potato bread that had been sitting out overnight. It's the kind that comes in a paper bag, so it's delicious when you first cut into it, but doesn't really hold up well for more than a day. It had a thick crust and soft interior (despite being a day old).

I cooked on a cast iron pan, buttering it first. 10 minutes & a fully belly later, I felt very happy with my decision to use a recipe. The vanilla made all the difference. I definitely will be using it every time I make french toast from now on!

No comments:

Post a Comment