Friday, March 15, 2013

Anzac Biscuits

I first tasted Anzac Biscuits while studying abroad in New Zealand, and fell in love. They are a not-too sweet but addictive oat cookie with just the right amount of coconut. This recipe came from the back of a package of oats I bought in New Zealand.This made 23 cookies.

Ingredients:
2 c rolled oats
1/2 c sugar1/2 c shredded coconut1/2 c flour125 g (~1 stick) margarine/butter2 T golden syrup1 t baking soda2 T boiling water

Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine oats, sugar, coconut, and flour in a bowl. In another bowl, melt together the margarine and golden syrup. Mix baking soda with boiling water, then add to the melted ingredients. Combine with the dry ingredients and mix well. Spoon the batter out on greased cookie sheets and bake for 15 minutes, until golden-brown. Remove from oven, let sit a few minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool.

I can't remember the consistency of the batter when I last made this in New Zealand, but this time it was very crumbly and not too tacky To shape the cookies, I used my hand to form the a ball that I carefully placed on the cookie sheet. Some of the cookies fell apart while baking and others stayed in tact. This worked out fine, as the crumbled ones toasted more and came out crunchy, and the others had a soft center. The second round I baked were easier to form, as the ingredients had sat out for a bit. I would recommend letting the batter sit ~20 minutes before shaping.

No comments:

Post a Comment