Monday, March 4, 2013

Matzo Lasagna


I try to buy products from the grocery store when they are in season. In addition to produce, many other items are often stocked at specific times during the year--cookies, cakes, preserves. Currently I have several boxes of matzo in the house, and was intrigued by the recipe for matzo lasagna on the back of one package. I immediately thought, "this could be the perfect combination of my heritage (Jewish-Italian), or a complete failure." Let's begin!

Ingredients:
1 box matzo (about 15 pieces)
fresh tomatoes or tomato sauce
spinach, or other vegetable
shredded mozzarella cheese

I did not specify quantities for these ingredients as it depends on how much lasagna you are making. Also, I prefer to lots of sauce to keep the lasagna moist and less cheese. For this recipe I used both tomato sauce and fresh tomatoes with 4 sheets of matzo.

Bring a pot of salted water to boil, and preheat the oven to 350 F. Slice the tomatoes and prep other veggies. Prepare the baking pan by spreading a layer of tomato sauce (if using) or olive oil to evenly coat. Place 1 sheet of matzo in the pot and boil for 1 minute. Remove, and place it in the baking dish. Repeat until the 1st layer is complete. Follow with fresh tomatoes, vegetables, tomato sauce, then cheese. Repeat layers in this order until the dish is full. The last layer should be tomato sauce topped with cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and bake 20-30 minutes, until hot. Remove foil for the last 5 minutes if you want the cheese to brown.
Matzo boiling
First layer of lasagna
The verdict? Not bad! I was pleasantly surprised by this dish. The matzo did have a similar texture to cooked pasta and did not throw off the dish because of it's mild flavor. I will probably make this again.
A word of caution: The next day I made matzo pizza in the toaster oven, and my mother commented, "it's kind of soggy". This was indeed true, and something to consider before you make this dish. I did not really notice the sogginess until my mother mentioned it, but perhaps I was so satisfied with my success, I overlooked this quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment