Monday, April 15, 2013

Lemon Cookies

Crumbly but delicious!
Not too long ago PBS ran a television special on Irish chef Rachel Allen. Impressed, I found her website and downloaded a PDF of 20 of her recipes. This is her recipe for lemon cookies.

I have never made these cookies before and was a bit surprised with the result. Though delicious, these are deceivingly difficult to shape. I was making these with my 2 year old nephew, luckily he is not a perfectionist.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 c flour
zest of 1 lemon
1 stick butter, softened
1/4 c superfine sugar

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Sift the flour int a bowl and stir in the lemon zest, butter, and then sugar. Mix until it forms a dough. My mixture was less like dough and more like crumbs.

Roll the dough out to 1/4'' thickness (again my dough kept crumbling) and cut into shapes. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake 6-10 minutes, until golden.

Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.

Rachel notes: the dough can be chilled and rolled out between sheets of plastic wrap.

I did not chill the dough, but perhaps this would make it much easier to handle. Despite appearance, the cookies were light, crumbly, and tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment