Monday, April 15, 2013

Corn Spoon Bread

My mom asked me to make some cornbread today, so I pulled out the Rodale Bread Winners book. I used this book when first making cornbread a few years ago, but noted that there were many variations. Today I tried the recipe for Fresh Corn Spoon Bread.

Ingredients:
1/3 yellow cornmeal
2 c cold milk
1 c cooked fresh corn kernels (I used frozen)
*3/4 t salt
1/4 c melted butter
2 eggs, separated
1/4 t cream of tartar

This makes 1 loaf, baked in a 6-cup casserole dish. The book did not list servings, but I would say it's about 4-5.

Preheat the oven to 325 F.

First, cook the corn. In a bowl combine the cornmeal with 1/2 c milk. In a pan heat 1/2 c milk to a boil. Add the corn and gradually stir in the cornmeal/milk mixture. Add 1/2 t salt, if using. Cook 5 minutes, stirring continuously. Remove from heat and beat in the butter.

Separate the eggs and beat the egg whites with 1/4 t cream of tartar, until soft peaks form. (Soft peaks will fall slightly when you dip and remove a spoon from the bowl.) Set aside.

Now beat the egg yolks with the remaining 1 c milk. Add the corn mixture to this, stirring until combined. Fold in the egg whites and pour everything into a greased pan.

Bake 1 hr, serve immediately.

Note: this batter is very thin, just a bit thicker than the consistency of milk once the egg whites are added.

Though I did not know what to expect, this was quite tasty. I've heard this called corn pudding, as it does have a pudding-like texture. I opted to add the salt because I was using unsalted butter, but I thought it was a bit too salty. Next time I won't add any.


Everything mixed and ready to bake
Just out of the oven

No comments:

Post a Comment