Friday, June 7, 2013

Kale Salad with Avocado, Lime, and Toasted Pecorino Chips


A friend and I made dinner together this week. We had no preferences or plans, except it had to be vegetarian, so we decided to go to the farmers market for inspiration and ingredients. Well, the farmer's market turned out to be a bust, and we only bought a bunch of Kale. My friend came up with a great idea for kale salad and I made stir fried veggies over rice.

I've never made kale salad before, but this was so tasty--especially with lime--that I'll be making it regularly. I have to give credit to my friend for this one, as she came up with the idea and made the salad.

Serves 4-6

Ingredients:
1 bunch fresh kale, chopped
1 avocado
1 handful of grape tomatoes
1 carrot, shredded
Shavings of pecorino (or other comparably strong) cheese
1/2 fresh lime
*salt and pepper

*optional

Wash all veggies. Turn on the oven--any temp will work. Shave the cheese (about 12 pieces) onto a baking sheet, and place in the oven. Let melt and crisp, about 3-5 minutes, then remove and let cool. Remove stems from the kale and cut leaves into small strips, chopping so they are small enough to eat. Halve the tomatoes and avocado, remove the pit, then slice into small chunks. Place everything into a salad bowl and add shredded carrot. Drizzle fresh lime over top and mix to coat. If using salt and pepper, add as desired.

The cheese should be toasted but cooled enough to handle. Break into pieces and toss over top of the salad and seve.

I was really content with this salad, and ate at least two servings. I don't often eat raw kale, and I've never made a salad with just lime dressing, but the combination was perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment