Monday, October 3, 2011

Irish Soda Bread/Brown Bread

I decided to make Irish soda bread after I returned from a trip to Europe that ended in Ireland. I tasted soda bread several times in Ireland and the flavor was unlike any bread I had before. Even my last meal in the airport--porridge and soda bread--was delicious and very distinct from anything I could get in the U.S. When I arrived home I was determined to replicate the soda bread flavor as best I could, and I did quite a bit of research to find the perfect recipe.

I found this recipe online at http://www.sodabread.info/. They stress that traditional Irish soda bread is made with only flour, baking soda, salt, & buttermilk/sour milk.

There are also two variations: traditional (all white flour) or brown bread (some whole wheat and some white). Both methods of preparation and baking are the same. Today I made brown bread.

Ingredients for Brown Bread:
3 c wheat flour & 1 c white flour
1 1/2 t baking soda
1 t salt
14 oz buttermilk


Ingredients for Soda Bread:
4 c white flour
1 t baking soda
1 t salt
14 oz buttermilk

Preheat oven to 425 F. Grease & flour a 9'' round cake pan or dutch oven.

Sift all dry ingredients into a bowl and slowly add the buttermilk while mixing with a spoon. When combined into a dough, pour onto a floured surface, knead lightly, & press down into 1'' round.

Place into prepared pan and cut a large X in the top. Bake 30 mins with a cover on top, then 15 minutes uncovered. Remove from oven and cover with a towel to keep fresh.

The X on top is traditional and also so the bread can be broken into 4 pieces when served.

Oops, as I re-read the recipe to type it up here, I noticed that I added baking powder instead of baking soda. I don't think it will make much difference but I'll make a note once I taste the bread later.

UPDATE:
The bread came out of the oven, and it was kind of flat. It rose a little, but not as much as I would have liked. I blame this on two things: mistaking baking powder for baking soda and kneading. Kneading is very important and definitely a learned skill. I've made many an "okay" bread due to poor kneading, not enough kneading, (or in this case) over-kneading! Usually the bread will taste okay, but the texture will be ruined if you don't knead the bread correctly. So all I can say is practice, & follow the directions carefully.
I got a little ahead of myself & just dumped the dough out onto the board & started kneading, before I went back and re-read the directions which said "knead lightly". By then I was already past the point of no-return. I also selected a bowl that was too small for my ingredients, so I had trouble combining them all properly in the bowl, and used the kneading to properly get them to form together.

Next time I think I'll try using a method similar to how I make biscuits: combine the ingredients completely with a fork. Dump onto a floured surface & lightly fold the dough over and shape into a circle. Not much kneading involved and very delicate handling of the dough in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment