Thursday, October 6, 2011

Yogurt Cake

This recipe comes from my friend Loïc. It is a recipe from his childhood & uses a single serving yogurt cup to measure all the other ingredients. Very fun!

To make a larger cake, use a larger cup of yogurt & visa versa.


Ingredients:
1 c yogurt
2-3 eggs (depends on size of cup)
1 1/2 c sugar
1/2 c melted butter
vanilla, as you prefer (~1 t)
2 c flour
1 1/2 t baking powder
*optional 1/3 c cocoa powder


Preheat oven to 350F and grease & flour a pan--bundt, cupcake, 9''x9'', loaf.


When Loïc made this, he just made a plain cake, but since then I've tried adding cocoa to it to make a chocolate cake. It's good and not too sweet since I don't add any extra sugar. If you want something sweeter you can add more sugar, or add icing.


Today I decided to make a marble cake, so I'm using half the cocoa powder.

In a larger bowl whisk together the eggs, yogurt, sugar, vanilla & melted butter. Measuring melted butter in a (usually plastic) yogurt cup isn't very desirable, so I've found that 4 T butter is about 1/2 c. (This does depend on the size of your cup).


In a second bowl sift the flour & baking powder together. Then add to the first mixture until combined. Split the batter in half & add 1/6 c cocoa powder (2 heaping T) to one half & mix. Alternate adding chocolate & vanilla to the prepared pan.

This cake can be baked in any size pan for 45 minutes or more, until a toothpick comes out clean. Today I made it in a loaf pan and it took 1 hr 10 minutes. I probably should have lowered the oven to 325F, though I liked the crisp outside. Lower the pan to 325F if you're making cupcakes & they should bake in about 18-20 minutes.

Overall the cake was very good. This is my first time making it in a loaf pan & it did take a long time. Perhaps it would have been good with 5 minutes less though, or like I said before a lower oven temp. I used Greek Yogurt because we had it in our fridge and nobody was eating it. As a result, the batter was very thick. This didn't change the result of cake, but one way to solve this issue would be to add a bit of buttermilk or sour milk.


No comments:

Post a Comment